Frequently Asked Questions

Murley Plumbing

At Murley Plumbing, we want you to have complete confidence in the Plumbing Services we provide. The page that follows has been implemented to answer some of the questions you may have. If you have further questions or we can assist you in any way, please feel free to contact us at your convenience. We can be contacted either in our Grayson County location at 903-482-0067 or in our Collin County location at 972-548-0799. For your convenience, you may also request services from this site.

Q. What can I do to increase the water pressure in faucets?

A. You should first begin by checking the emergency shutoff under your sink to make sure it is completely open. If rubber washers or seals have begun to deteriorate, you will lose water pressure, so you should also check those. Calcium and lime buildup will also cause low water pressure.

Q. What can I do to take extra care of my faucets and sinks?

A. Even small drips can waste thousands of gallons of water, as much as 150 gallons a day! Be sure to check under sinks for moisture or small leaks. Also, always repair leaky faucets right away to avoid paying for wasted water. You will also avoid water damage to your fixtures and pipes. Remove and clean your faucet aerators annually to ensure an even flow of water. Make sure overflow holes on tubs and vanities are clear and open to prevent water damage to floors and ceilings.

Q. Can I replace my two-handled faucet with a single-handle faucet?

A. Usually, faucet dimensions and sink openings are standard throughout the plumbing industry, so the answer to this question is usually yes. There are a few exceptions, so check the size of the sink opening before you buy new fixtures.

back to top

Q. How can I prevent clogged drains?

A. Do not rinse fats or cooking oils down the kitchen sink. Liquid fats solidify in the cold pipes and create clogs. Also, to help prevent clogs, fit all your tubs and shower drains with a strainer that catches hair and soap chips, and clean the strainer regularly.

Q. What causes my kitchen sink and washing machine drains to clog?

A. In most homes, the kitchen and laundry drains are connected. When the lint from the laundry drains meets the grease buildup from soap and food products, a nearly solid substance is formed, causing blockage. Using filters and strainers will help, but you will also need to get the drains snaked periodically.

Q. Should I close and open the main water supply shutoff valve periodically?

A. Absolutely! You want to make sure they are not stuck in the open position just when you have a water emergency! Do the same periodic check for the shutoff valves on your sinks, tubs, and toilets, too.

back to top

Q. Why do I hear a vibrating noise in my pipes?

A. Noises can be fairly common in plumbing supply lines. If a washer in a faucet or valve is loose, you’ll hear it rattling or knocking. If the sound occurs when you open and close faucets rapidly, it generally means pipes are loose, and can be corrected by anchoring pipes more securely. If it really bothers you, you can add air chambers at the end of long pipe runs.

Q. What can I do about a sewer line blockage?

A. Generally, the main culprit is tree roots, and once they’ve blocked the line, there is very little you can do. A plumbing professional can snake the line to get it as clear as possible, and then use copper sulfide products to kill the remaining vegetation. But odds are the sewer line will most likely need to be replaced.

Q. Are caustic liquid drain openers such as Drano harmful to pipes?

A. For minor clogs, they are fine, but never use them on a drain that is completely clogged. The caustic ingredients are trapped in your pipes, and it can severely damage them. If you cannot snake the drain yourself, contact a professional to do so. Never use caustic drain openers in a drain that has a garbage disposal. You can count on Murley Plumbing to take care of all your clogged drains.

back to top

Q. Why doesn't my water heater work as well as it used to?

A. This is usually due to a sediment buildup in your tank. As water heaters grow older, they accumulate sediment and lime deposits. If these deposits are not removed periodically, the sediment will create a barrier between the burner and the water, greatly reducing the water heater's performance level. At least once every three months, drain water from the tank. Draining a gallon or so on a regular basis helps remove the sediment. You should also inspect your water heater burner periodically. The flame under the heater should appear blue with yellow tips. If it’s mostly yellow, or if it’s sooty under there, your flue may be clogged, which is a dangerous situation. You should contact your plumbing professionals as soon as possible for a thorough inspection of your flue. In addition, at least once every two years, have your water heater inspected by our service technician. We will be checking the drain valve for signs of leakage. We will also check the anode rods for corrosion.

Q. How can I extend the life of my garbage disposal?

A. Always use plenty of cold water when running your disposal, and avoid overloading it. Never dispose of very hard items like bones or corn husks. And never use a caustic drain opener.

Q. What should I do if my garbage disposal stops working?

A. Before calling us, be sure to try the reset switch located on the bottom of most disposals. If your garbage disposal is still not working properly, please call our plumbing specialists at Murley Plumbing.

back to top

Q. What is the best way to check for toilet leaks?

A. Toilet leaks can be wasteful and expensive. At least once a year, check your toilet for leaks by adding a small amount of red food coloring to the tank, and then check the toilet bowl later. If the toilet bowl water is colored red, water is seeping through from the tank. If it is leaking, you should replace the flush valve or flapper. Our plumbing specialists at Murley Plumbing will be happy to assist you.

Q. I live in Van Alstyne. Do you provide plumbing services to my area?

A. Absolutely! Murley Plumbing is proud to service the Grayson and Collin County area, including the cities of Allen, Altoga, Branch, Carrollton, Copeville, Culleoka, Dallas, Dennison, Fairview, Farmersville, Frisco, Lavon, Lowry Crossing, Lucas, Mckinney, Murphy, New Hope, Parker, Plano, Princeton, Prosper, Richardson, Sachse, Saint Paul, and Wylie.

back to top

We hope this page has answered some of your questions. If you have further questions or would like to schedule a service call, please do not hesitate to contact us either in our Grayson County office at 903-482-0067 or at our Collin County location, 972-548-0799. You may also request services from this site.

McKinney Chamber Member Since 2008, Click Here for their Website American Water Heater          Delta Faucet          Kohler          Price Pfister          Takagi

Thank you for your interest in Murley Plumbing, we look forward to serving you and all your plumbing needs.

Collin County

LIC. M-21575

Grayson County

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.

Murley Plumbing is proud to service the North Dallas Area including the cities of Allen, Altoga, Branch, Carrollton, Copeville, Culleoka, Dallas, Dennison, Fairview, Farmersville, Frisco, Lavon, Lowry Crossing, Lucas, Mckinney, Murphy, New Hope, Parker, Plano, Princeton, Prosper, Richardson, Sachse, Saint Paul, and Wylie.